The first school on this site was built in 1886 after the Free School Bill was enacted. It burned in 1893 and was replaced by the one pictured here which in turn burned in 1911.
Civic Address: Maple Ave. on the new portion of the Baptist Cemetery
Built by Bill MacLellan, this home was owned by Abner Crowe in 1905. The house burned in 1985.
Civic Address: 301 Birch Hill Road
John Howard Fulton
John Howard Fulton married Rachael Fulton on May 12, 1868. This house was built shortly after buying the property on June 8, 1871 from Jotham C. Fulton. On June 9, 1945 the heirs of John Fulton (Lucy Fulton, Mrs. Ernest Fulton and Evelena S. Melser) sold the property to Mrs. Eunice Fisher. Mrs. Fisher sold to Mrs. William Starritt. The owner as of 1986 had moved this house to the back of the property and was building a new house where this one was originally.
Civic Address: 5748 Highway 2
Owned by “Chairmaker” George Fulton. The first post office in Bass River was on the north side of the lane leading to this house. The post office was owned by Mrs. Nancy Dickie.
Civic Address: 299 Maple Ave.
James A. Fulton sold this property to Harvey S. Marsh on Feb. 29, 1888. It remained in the Marsh family until Mrs. Marsh sold to Nanette Knight on September 29, 1953. The house burned in December 2017. New house is on site.
Civic Address: 5821 Highway 2
Originally purchased by Edgar’s father, Charles Nelson, on April 14, 1899 from John Stinson Fulton’s daughters, Ellen and Rachel , and their husbands. The property passed to Edgar sometime before 1905 and then to Mitchell Cook. Later, it went to Mitchell’s second wife who married Walter Corbett after Mitchell’s death.
Civic Address: 73 Maple Ave.
This property was sold to Levi Davidson on Nov. 19, 1904 for $25 by Thomas Davison. The 1905 photo shows the house in its original location. Part of it was moved to its present location in 1925 and the rest of it was moved in 1928.
Civic Address: 1117 Mines Bass River Road, Portapique Mountain
J. C. Fulton
In 1905, J. C. Fulton, possibly James Campbell Fulton, owned this house. It was rented to Dr. W. V. Goodwin. In later years it became the home of the Sharpe family.
Civic Address: 5707 Highway 2
John D. Fulton
Referred to locally as “The Old Homestead”, this was the property of Judge James Fulton, the original settler of Bass River. The house in these pictures is the third that he built on this site. It was owned by direct descendants until 1945.
Civic Address: 128 Judge Fulton Road
Samuel G. Dickie
Owned by Samuel and occupied by Seldon Lewis and Clarence Canning in 1905. On January 8, 1914 Samuel G. Dickie gave the property to William T. MacDonald in his will. On April 9, 1928 William Tapley MacDonald and his wife Franketta MacDonald sold to Willard S. Fletcher. On March 27, 1930 Willard S. Fletcher sold to Seymour A. Fulton .
Civic Address: 166 Maple Ave.
Burned in February 1943.
Civic Address: Economy Lake Road (No civic number)
Daniel H. Lank
Ownership was transferred from Daniel to Freeman Lank on Sept. 7, 1933. The farm was known as Freeman Lank farm after this.